Saturday, September 5, 2015

Man Who Suffered Stroke At Sheepshead Bay Train Station Is Saved By NYC Transit Cop

NYC Transit Police Officer Qiang Shi saved the life of a 19-year-old man after suffering a heart stroke.

By H. Nelson Goodson
Hispanic News Network U.S.A.

September 5, 2015

New York City, New York - The New York Police Department (NYPD) reported that on August 15, Transit Police Officer Qiang Shi, an 11-year veteran on the department saved Rio Ferrer, 19, who had suffered a near fatal heart stroke (cardiac arrest) at the Sheepshead Bay train station platform. Ferrer's mother referred to Officer Shi as a "Guardian Angel" for saving her son. Officer Shi who was in the lower train platform area quickly went to aid Ferrer after someone notified him of Ferrer's emergency and he was able to get Ferrer to breath again by applying CPR and giving him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Ferrer is expected to make a full recovery, according to doctors.
The whole incident was video cell recorded by Auystine Pérez at the train station platform. ( Video link: https://youtu.be/-86J9GxZ1NQ )
The NYPD News reported, Ferrer's mom, Dianne Ferrer, sent a letter to the NYPD's Chief of Transit and called Police Officer Shi her son's "guardian angel" and thanking him for saving him. They met with Police Officer Shi last Tuesday to personally thank him.
"I was speechless. I cried, and cried. I hugged him and I was hugging him for the next half hour," said Ms. Ferrer. "There were no words to express my gratitude."
Ferrer's mother on September 2 sent a letter to NYPD Transit Chief Joe Fox, she wrote, "On August 15th, 2015, I experienced a mother's nightmare. At approximately 1:00 pm while waiting for a train at the MTA Sheepshead Bay station in Brooklyn (B & Q lines), my nineteen (19) year old son Rio Ferrer collapsed onto the train platform and went into cardiac arrest. As he lied on the train platform his heart stopped beating and he stopped breathing. People on the platform called 911 and ran downstairs from the elevated platform to seek assistance. Appearing on the platform moments later is New York City Police Officer Qiang Shi shield #16871 of the NYPD Transit District 34, who I refer to now as my son's guardian angel on that day. Officer Shi quickly assessed the situation and started CPR on my son. He did so as my son lied a couple of feet from the edge of the train platform as trains pulling into the station sped by. He did so despite the area around my son's chin being covered in blood due to a gash he suffered from his fall to the train platform. Officer Shi was calm, cool, and collected as he performed CPR, radioed for an ambulance, and kept the area around my son clear on that extremely hot August afternoon so my son could breath air once he was revived. When my son started breathing again Officer Shi spoke with him letting him know he was not alone and encouraged him not to go to sleep as they waited for medical assistance.
"Police Officer Shi reacted quickly minimizing the time my son's brain was without oxygen. Because of his actions my son did not suffer permanent brain damage. He does suffer from memory loss, which will hopefully come back in time. He is still hospitalized but recovering everyday. He has a second chance at life thanks to the heroic actions of New York City Police Officer Qiang Shi who was equipped with CPR training, compassion, and professionalism.
"Police Officer Shi is a true hero and an excellent example of a New York City Police Officer. I am sharing my story with hope that the New York City Police Department recognizes him for his heroic actions. I would greatly appreciate the department arranging a meeting where I can meet Police Officer Qiang Shi and thank him in person for his heroic actions and for saving my son's life."
Officer Shi received a badge made of Legos from Ferrer's 10-year-old brother, Conner Lawson.

No comments: